Gatha Ahunavad – Yasna 31.5
5. Tat moi vichidyāi vaochā, hyat moi ashā dātā vahyo;
Viduye vohu mananghā, menchā daidyāi yehyā mā ereshish;
Tāchit mazdā ahurā, yā noit vā anghat anghaiti vā.
“Tell me, O Vohu Manah, that which you have fixed for me through Asha as the better laws (of life), to know and to keep in mind, for which I get the benefits (ereshish); and (do you tell me) these also, O Ahura Mazda! What shall not be and what shall be.”
Note: 1. Here, there is a clear desire of asking the Higher Consciousness (Vohu Manah) to lead one to Life’s Purpose (Asha). 2. The prophet also desires to know the future. However, it is not very clear whether he is talking about this world or the other world.
Farvardin Yasht – Karda XI & XII (para 40 to 48)
- 40. We venerate….the Fravashis…who are vigorous, strong, victorious, triumphant in battles, joy giving, blower of wind-storms (against enemies) (vivaitish), discerning (vicharnāo), obeying the laws of nature (sravaeshemnāo), able bodied, having innate wisdom (to guide their) their soul, righteous. (The Fravashis) give victory to those who invoke them, giver of boons to those who love (chakushe) them and givers of health to the ill (bantāi).
- If a person invokes the Fravashi while undertaking (jaso) any great work (yāonghām) or when terrified (bivivāo) from a calamity (ājanghām), he will get good energy (vohu khareno) just as the great man (nā) who was Asho Zarathushtra, the Ratu (spiritual leader) of the material world and the leader (bareshnush) of all men got, when he venerated them. (involved paragraph, last part first.)
- When (the Fravashis) are well invoked, they come out from their spiritual abodes (mainyu-shutāo) and go to the top of the sky. Along with them come (paidhimnāo) well-formed Ama, Verethraghna created by Ahura, superior Vanainti, Saoka (who is) bringer of wealth, bringer of boons, righteous, contented, worthy of worship and worthy of adoration on account of righteousness.
- Between the earth and the sky, the (Fravashis) send Satavaesa who makes the waters flow, listens to the plea for help (javano-srutem), makes the water flow so that plants may grow, for sustaining animals and men, for sustaining the Iranian nations and for sustaining five types of animals (aquatics, rodents, birds, wild animals and domestic animals).
Note: 1. Satavaesa is one of the 4 stars who along with Tishtrya (E), Haptoiring (N) and Vanant guard the four sides of the earth. Tishtrya destroys physical and spiritual evil and brings rains with the help of Satavaesa. Whenever Tishtrya is invoked, the other three stars including Satavaesa are always invoked along with him. The star Satavaesa is in the West and it is identified with Vega, also called Alpha Lyrae. It is the brightest star in the constellation of Lyra, the fifth-brightest star in the night sky, and the second-brightest star in the northern celestial hemisphere. In Zoroastrian religion it works with Shukra that is Venus. 2. Compare this para with I.10.
- The (Fravashis) send beautiful, radiant and brilliant Satavaesa who makes the waters flow, listens to the plea for help, makes the water flow so that plants may grow between the earth and the sky for sustaining animals and men, for sustaining the Iranian nations and for sustaining five types of animals (aquatics, rodents, birds, wild animals and domestic animals).
Note: The above 2 paras, 43 and 44 are almost identical except for the extra adjectives for Satavaesa.
XII. 45. We venerate….the Fravashis…who have iron helmets (ayo-khaodhāo), iron weapons and iron armours, who wear garments of light and stand in battles (arezazish) in a row (thakhtāo) to fight (peretente) and secure victory over the demons a thousand times.
- When men blow towards them wind (vāto) carrying fragrance (baro–baodho), they make men aware (paiti–jānente) of the fragrance of victory, and also when men carry gifts with uplifted arms and a pure life (paro anghuyāt) for the good, brave and beneficent Fravashis of the righteous ones.
Note: This is a reference to invoking the Fravashis with fragrance.
- Whichever of the two sides of the army first venerates the (Fravashis) with a devoted (zarzdātoit) mind and complete (frakshni) dedication (fraoret), towards them (ātara-thra) the powerful righteous Fravashis shall go along with Meher, Rashne, vigorous Dāmi Upamana and victorious Govad (Yazads).
- Against whichever countries the powerful righteous Fravashis go along with Meher, Rashne, Dāmi Upamana and victorious Govad (Yazads), that country is smitten with fifty, hundred, thousand, ten thousand and infinite fold smitings.
THE KAYANIAN DYNASTY
King Kae Khushru – Bizan & Manizeh:
From the meeting of Bizan and Manizeh to Afrasiyab imprisoning Bizan in a dungeon.